I borrowed this meme from Renaissance Guy at Significant Pursuit. I’ve modified it some, mostly by shortening it from 40 entries down to 23.
Strange Things About Me
1. My uncle grandfather once … left me behind at the gas station. As I remember, I wasn’t scared. I knew after a while he would notice I was missing and come back for me.
2. Never in my life … have I seen The Godfather.
3. When I was five … I hated “playing house,” because I thought it was dumb and the boys’ toys and games were a lot more fun.
4. High School was … when I started thinking a lot about God and faith.
5. I will never forget … how to spell reservoir. I missed winning a spelling bee in seventh grade because I left out the middle r. I had to look it up in the dictionary to be convinced it really had one there.
6. I once met … a man with no legs, who got around amazingly well on a small wheeled platform rather like a skateboard.
7. Once, at a bar … in Spain, I ordered “cider” (sidra in Spanish), forgetting that outside the U.S. cider is usually hard, i.e. alcoholic.
8. By noon, I’m usually … done drinking coffee (mixed with hot chocolate and milk) and ready for cold beverages, such as diet cola.
9. If only I had … not mislaid both the paper and electronic copies of a bunch of stories and poems I wrote
10. Next time I go to church … both my sons will be in the youth song/dance teams leading worship for Mother’s Day.
11. When I turn my head left, I see … a photo of my husband holding our puppy (back when she was small enough to hold on one arm. [Note: I wrote this part while at work, although I’m posting it now from home.]
12. When I turn my head right, I see … a large plastic bowl holding a couple of kitchen utensils, the beginning of the “fun basket” my workgroup is assembling for a silent auction next week to benefit the American Cancer Society. [Note: I wrote this part while at work, although I’m posting it now from home.]
13. By this time next year … my older son will be legally an adult.
14. I have a hard time understanding … when people are joking, because I tend to take things seriously and literally.
15. If I ever go back to school, I’ll … do it without taking out student loans.
16. Take my advice, never … try to get practice driving a stick shift (when you still have trouble getting the car moving again after stopping) in Philadelphia traffic (probably applies to most large cities)
17. My ideal breakfast is … orange juice, a cheese omelet, buckwheat pancakes with molasses, and a cup of mocha.
18. Tulips, character flaws, microchips, & track stars … often go unnoticed (tulips are dormant most of the year, microchips are everywhere but who knows exactly where, track stars don’t get the publicity typical in some other sports, and we all know some character flaws can be hidden except from the people who know you best).
19. If you spend the night at my house … you will be greeted in the morning by a very energetic black lab looking for a playmate.
20. The world could do without … beauty pageants, casinos, cigarettes, and infomercials (I’m not suggested banning any of them – just saying we could do just fine without them)
21. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than … eat it.
22. If I do anything well, it’s … catching people’s mistakes. This is an essential element of my job (checking documentation for compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley), but a tendency I have to make an effort to curb in other situations where it is neither necessary nor welcome.
23. And by the way … I’m sure there are some strange things about me, but I don’t think any of the above is much indication of it. (Nor are the ones I chose to leave out from the original meme – those were ones I couldn’t think of anything interesting to write about.)